Safes are essentials in any hotel for providing security to customer’s luggage. Using the hotel safe can be different from having a safe at home as they are not your home safes, so you may easily forget the combination code. The excitement of travel, new place, and all that fuss relating to a new place can make the new combination slip from your mind.
Types Of Hotel Safes
Different types of safes you will find in a hotel room depending on how much they are charging you. The common type of lock we see in these hotels are:
Make sure you keep the key in a secure place. In case you have misplaced the keys, the hotel staff can help you with the master key.
Mechanical Lock Code
Mechanical locks work with the combination code. While setting the combination code the first time. Make sure you chose something already in your head. You will have to set the combination code and choose your code for the combination lock.
For an electronic lock, you should choose the combination that is always in your mind. You should set the code and choose a personalized code as well.
What To Do If Hotel Safe Is Not Opening?
If you cannot open your hotel safe, then chances are either you have forgotten the code, or there is some other problem with the safe.
Let’s look at some of the possible reasons for a locked safe that won’t open:
- A very obvious reason can be that you are using the wrong code. Try to remember the right code and check with all the possible codes in your mind that you could have used.
- Another reason can be that the battery of an electronic lock is not working. It can be due to the that the lock pad needs a fresh set of batteries. You can ask the hotel staff to help you with a new set of batteries.
- The door can be jammed due to overstuffing of luggage inside. If you have stuffed the safe more than its capacity, then the chances are that something is stuck between the bolts, and now it is resisting to open the lock.
- To open the lock, you need to push the door a few times after entering the right code. The pushing can help the things inside to leave the bolt that is stuck and not opening.
- Some safes allow you to turn the handle only when you have entered the code. So if you have tried to turn the handle before entering the code, then the code cannot free it. You should try to nether the right code and then turn the handle.
- You may have dialed the right code but forgotten to press enter. So you can check to reopen by pressing the enter after you feed in the code.
How To Reset Code On Hotel Safe?
You can reset the combination code for hotel safes. You need to remember your previous code or the hotel’s master code to open the safe.
All hotels have their master code for opening the safes. They have the master code for several reasons. One of the most common reasons hotels have the master code is that guests can forget the code very easily. they are usually there for a small visit and forgetting the code is very common when there are many other things on your mind.
To reset a combination code:
- You have to dial the combination code two times.
- Enter the # button.
- Some hotel safes require you to press enter or press the set button to reset the combination code.
- Dial the new code once.
- Reenter the code again to confirm.
- Press the enter again to confirm the new code.
- Reset the new code without the previous code.
Resetting the new code without the previous code is not possible without a master key. If you have forgotten the code for opening the hotel, the only way to reset the combination is with the master code.
As we already have mentioned, the hotels have the master key or the master code for opening the safe in an emergency. These master codes sometimes make the safes a bit shady in customers’ eyes and are not ready to trust the locking system, but good hotels can be trusted and their customers’ trust.
You can ask the hotel authorities to help you with a locked safe. They will provide you the master code, overriding key, or help you to reset the new combination.
Should I Trust A Hotel Safe?
Hotel safes should not be trusted blindly. There are too many factors to consider while trusting the hotel safes.
First, the safes used can be cheap and not of high quality. You should not trust the cheap hotels as they would probably be using the cheap safes. Then you cannot trust the hotel staff. They always have the master key or a master code that can open the safe.
Tips To Make Hotel Safe Secure
Check the hotel safe with some common factory codes like 111 or 0000. If you can open the hotel safe, anyone can, so you should not trust the safe.
Look if they allow you to put your lock to the hotel safe. It is probably best to use your lock for the hotel safe.
Having a secure and protective safe in a hotel room is what we all need. You can put all your valuables in the safe. However, with hotel safes, too many things can go wrong. Make sure you talk to the hotel staff about the security system and how they can ensure to make it secure for your belongings. Some of the best hotel safes cannot be trusted if the hotel staff has the master key or a code. So make sure you take all the necessary precautions to avoid any inconvenience.